Application for return to study

Use this form if you are a current or former domestic QUT student seeking to return to an undergraduate or postgraduate course you previously studied.

If you are applying to return to study after exclusion for unsatisfactory academic performance you must include a personal statement and supporting documentation.

Who shouldn't use this form

  • International students need to email International Admissions via about returning to study.
  • Students currently on approved Leave of Absence wanting to return to study can re-enrol via HiQ.
  • Continuing undergraduate students wanting to change to a new course may be able to apply for a Course Transfer.
  • Returning Undergraduate students wanting to change to a different undergraduate course must apply via QTAC.
  • Postgraduate students wanting to study a different course can browse courses through our Study page then select the 'I'm ready to apply' link.

Closing dates

Please check key dates for the last date you can apply.

Entry requirements

You may need to demonstrate in this application that you meet the most recent entry requirements.

For course admission information you should refer to information in Entry Pathways or Study at QUT.

Course progression

Depending upon the length of your absence, you might be readmitted to a new course version with different fees and course structure. Credit for units completed before cancellation won't necessarily be available.

A unit may not be available for study in every teaching period. Check with your faculty on unit availability and selecting a study plan for course completion.

Return to study after exclusion


Applications for return to study after exclusion must be lodged by the advertised on-time closing date (see key dates search) in order for applications to be considered by the relevant Faculty Academic Board. No further applications will be considered beyond the on-time closing date.

QUT refuses admission to applicants who have been suspended from a higher education institution for non-academic reasons (discipline or misconduct) while the suspension or equivalent action remains in force.

Applicants who have been excluded from a course as a result of unsatisfactory academic performance, either from QUT or elsewhere, will not be considered for admission to the same or a similar course or study program unless:

  • at least twelve months have elapsed since exclusion
  • the application is accompanied by an appropriate written statement and supporting documentation to be reviewed as part of the re-admission decision.

Written statement

The written statement should outline your claim for re-admission and address factors such as changed circumstances, academic and/or vocational performance since exclusion, and maturity and motivation. This statement must be accompanied by documentation which supports your claim. Supporting documentation could include:

  • an academic transcript for tertiary study performance since exclusion
  • a vocational reference stating the nature of the position, length of service and comments on the level of your performance in that position
  • for changed circumstances you must show that the previous problems (ie financial, personal, vocational, medical etc) have been overcome and are unlikely to recur
  • a letter from your medical practitioner confirming your capacity to recommence studies after recovery from a medical condition.

Applications will be considered by the relevant Faculty Academic Board.

Commonwealth assistance

If you are eligible for, and wish to change your Commonwealth assistance preferences:

  • Commonwealth supported places - complete a new Request for HECS-HELP form (eCAF)
  • Tuition fee paying place - complete a new Request for FEE-HELP form (eCAF).

These are available from the 'Enrolment' page in HiQ. You must complete an eCAF on or before the census date of your first teaching period. For further information see Study costs.

Advanced standing

You may be able to have your past studies or work experience count as credit towards one of our courses.

Our credit for prior learning page provides you with more information on what you can apply for credit for and how you can apply.

Proceed to your application

Complete the return to study request